Saturday 18 March 2017


The Color of Humility

“There is nothing noble
in being superior to your fellow man;
true nobility
is being superior to your former self.” 
(Ernest Hemingway)

A dusty old memory: An embarrassing moment of forgetfulness during a Sunday School Christmas pageant when I was about seven years old. This moment of fear left an indelible mark upon me. For decades to follow, a quiet voice reminded me that I was an untalented person. In false humility, I looked up to those I perceived as gifted, even as I derided my own abilities.  

“True humility is not thinking less of yourself;
it is thinking of yourself less.” 
(C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity)

As I have grown over the years, that voice of judgment has become subdued, a bare whisper of wind on dark days. I have learned that I am a gift to our world, full to the brim with wondrous potential, all of which is ignited and set ablaze by Love. This perhaps, does not sound terribly humble; therein is the twist. Humility is not about denying our greatness; humility stands in awe of one's own greatness even as it exalts in the beauty of every being it meets.

“Be careful
not to mistake insecurity
and inadequacy for humility!
Humility has nothing to do with the insecure and inadequate!
Just like arrogance has nothing to do with greatness!” 
(C. JoyBell C.)

Love has spent a lifetime shaping us, smoothing rough edges, and shinning radiantly through the cracks of our clay shell. It in no way desires that we deny its power as expressed through our unique gifts and experiences. There is no one else on earth that is just like you; no other expression of Divine Light will touch the world in the same way as that which flows through you. 

The challenge of humility then is to know and honor your strength, your power, your ability to heal this world, and to do so quietly within the sanctuary of your own heart. In this way, you are freed to be brilliant even as you draw out the brilliance of others. Is this not our mission - to be secure in who we are so that we might be agents of change and renewal for all of creation? 

“It is not for me to judge another man's life.
I must judge, I must choose,
I must spurn, purely for myself.
For myself, alone.” 
(Hermann Hesse, Siddhartha)

As tempting as it is to lift ourselves up by tearing others down, in so doing we only deny our deepest truth: We are beautifully created and wonderfully made. Even so, we will not navigate this world perfectly. The glass of our being, through which the Light of Love shines, is easily smudged, sometimes even caked with life's detritus. Humility then is knowing the Light that endeavors to pour through us, even as we yearn to discover that same light flowing through our neighbor.

I count it an awesome privilege when I am given the sight to see Love pouring from those wherein I least expected to find it. May the Love that you are exalt in the Love that defines others. 

I leave the last word to a humble man, Martin Luther:

“True humility does not know that it is humble.
If it did, it would be proud from the contemplation
of so fine a virtue.”
(Martin Luther)

The color of humility...
the strength of the bridge rejoicing in the vibrations of traffic.

I looked
in the
mirror
and wept
with
Joy

For I saw
there
the face
of
my
enemy

Pray
Laugh
Shine




To Ponder Further:
- From the Bible: "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." (Luke 14.11)

- From Islam: "Successful indeed are the believers who are humble in their prayers, and who shun vain conversation, and who are payers of the poor-due, and who guard their modesty." 
(Qur'an 23.1-5)

- From Hinduism: 
"Be humble, be harmless,
Have no pretension,
Be upright, forbearing;
Serve your teacher in true obedience,
Keeping the mind and body in cleanness,
Tranquil, steadfast, master of ego,
Standing apart from the things of the senses,
Free from self;
Aware of the weakness in mortal nature.
                  (Bhagavad Gita 13.7-8)


No comments:

Post a Comment