Tuesday 8 December 2015


The Color of Today

“You can't stop the future
You can't rewind the past
The only way to learn the secret
...is to press play.”
(Jay Asher, Thirteen Reasons Why)

I came across a quote recently: “You can’t ‘should’ve done’ something; you can only do something.” It provoked an avalanche of thoughts on the things that I “should’ve done” – I should’ve emptied the trailer’s hot water tank before it froze; I should’ve taken the garbage out before the garbage truck came; I should have moved my vehicle before the grader cleared the street… and many more serious “should haves” on the list.

My brain has a tendency to ruminate endlessly on the “should’ve dones,” emotionally kneading them like some kind of mental dough. Problem is, I have no power to go back and do something yesterday. In fact, I have no power (that I am currently aware of) to make any change yesterday or tomorrow. I am firmly planted, entrenched even, in the present.

“Yesterday I was clever,
so I wanted to change the world.
Today I am wise,
so I am changing myself.”
(Rumi)

Most acknowledge that we cannot change the past (even though we ruminate over should’ve dones), however, there is a persistent cultural belief that we can change the future. “It is unwritten… we can sculpt it as we desire…” This is, perhaps, one of the greatest subterfuges of truth that modern society inflicts upon itself, the belief in a malleable tomorrow.

“...the past gives you an identity
and the future holds the promise of salvation,
of fulfillment in whatever form.
Both are illusions.”
(Eckhart Tolle, The Power of Now)

It all comes down to the seemingly difficult-to-grasp truth that change happens right now, with today’s choices, with this moment’s commitments. Without doubt, the past has molded us, and with equal certainty the path ahead will be shaped by today’s choices. Still, it is today that is being changed then, it is life right now that bears the burden of renewal.

“Change will not come if we wait for some other person,
or if we wait for some other time.
We are the ones we've been waiting for.
We are the change that we seek.”
(Barack Obama)

“I’ll do it tomorrow” is a commitment right now – a choice not to do something, or from another angle it is a choice to some action, but not the one that resides in the fantasy of tomorrow. The real questions as far as change is concerned is what am I going to do right now? If we are going to seek renewal, if we are going to stretch to reach our potentials, then that will happen today. We cannot “should’ve done,” and we cannot “will do tomorrow,” but we can do right now.

So what is it time for you to do today – for your body, your mind, your heart… your soul? What choices/changes does your work life need so that life pours into it? What does today need from your relationships at home and in the community? What is working well and needs to be affirmed?

I’m not suggesting that this moment needs to be filled with dramatic alterations to the path. Rather, I acknowledge the limits with which reality has bound us: we have great power, in this moment, to breathe, to act, to be. If something needs to happen it will not happen yesterday or tomorrow – it will happen now. The apples are picked from the branch as I plant an apple seed… now. The broken bones mends as the cast is applied to the limb… now.

If your wellness tank is getting low make choices today that will affect your well-being. Be attentive to yourself, and to all that Love brings to your path in any given moment. In so doing you are fully open to life in all of its color and wonder.

I leave the last word to author, Alice Hoffman:

“Although I am no longer caught in the past,
the future seems like a ridiculous thing to me.
Try to catch it, hold it in your hand.
It disappears every time.”
(Alice Hoffman, Green Heart)

The color of today…
Love embedded in time.


All my sorrow
All my hope
All my memories
All my fantasies

Are experienced
Now

Breathe
Pray
Listen

To Ponder Further:
- From the Bible: “Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap.” (Galatians 6.7)

- From the Unification Church: “To prepare for heaven, we should live our daily lives with sacrifice and service. (Sun Myung Moon, 2-6-77)

- African Traditional: “We are on a market trip to earth: Whether we fill our baskets or not, once the time is up, we go home. (Igbo Song (Nigeria))



No comments:

Post a Comment