Tuesday 14 July 2015

The Color of Purpose

“He who has a why to live for
can bear almost any how.” 
(Friedrich Nietzsche)

My own thoughts sometimes rise up as the most significant challenge in my world. In all ways my life is rich and full: I have access to good food, clean water and sanitation, freedom from attack, wonderful family and community... And still there are times when I struggle to move ahead, to find the path. At these times my interior world does not feel rich and full.

“Believing in negative thoughts
is the single greatest obstruction to success.” 
(Charles F. Glassman, Brain Drain: The Breakthrough That Will Change Your Life)

There are two voices having a conversation in my head - one voice that tells me I will not succeed in my ventures, that I've never really done anything of value. The other voice reminds me that I, like you, am a gift of Love and light in the world. What happens in my day, the way I experience my relationships, depends greatly on which voice to which I am attuned. 

The heart of the matter is this: I do not think that we have the authority to waste our lives wallowing in self-doubt, pity, or victim-hood. I'm not saying that we can't do this, I saying Love does not empower us to do this. All of the dark thoughts that are generated work against Love's purpose for us - that we would use our gifts and experiences to live well, to create a world where all will live well.

When the dark voices convince us to be, and to act in uncaring ways, or connive us into believing in the "poor me" motif, then we forfeit any possibility of knowing ourselves and the Divine image within us. On the other hand, when Spirit whispers in our hear that we can do the impossible, that time and perseverance will erode all barriers, that we are beautiful and powerful - then it is that we discover our truest self in the mirror of Love's light.

"The purposes of a person’s heart are deep waters,
one who has insight draws them out."
(Proverbs 20.5)

You are here for a reason; you were created with intention; your life experiences are a treasure from which you draw your wisdom. Do not let your life go to waste; be intentional about your plans and grit your teeth until you have seen your dreams brought into reality. Then you will see the positive ripples your life sends out into the pond of humanity.

I leave the last word to the Hebrew Prophet Jeremiah:

"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord,
plans for welfare and not for evil,
to give you a future and a hope."
(Jeremiah 29.11)

The color of purpose...
a flying arrow nearing its target.

believe
you can
or
cannot

and it
is so

There is no evidence
that the
sun
ever
doubts
her
purpose

Shine
and be
sure.


To Ponder Further:
From the Bible: "You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you." (John 15.16)
From Buddhism: "Your purpose in life is to find your purpose and give your whole heart and soul to it” (Extrapolation on Dhammapada, v.166)

From the Unification Church: "The purpose of the universe's existence centered on man is to return joy to God, the Creator." (Divine Principle I.1.3.1)


No comments:

Post a Comment