Wednesday 1 April 2015

The Color of Stormy Weather

“Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
It's about learning to dance in the rain.” 
(Vivian Greene)

Yesterday the temperature reached +20 Celsius in Camrose; that's a very warm day for March 31st. Blue skies and summer breezes are easy to take after a winter of uncertain weather patterns. Today, on the other hand, it is 0 degrees with blowing snow and sleet. Gone are the blue skies, shorts and t-shirts... and I Love it.

Which is not to say that I have a particular affinity to blowing snow or storms, but that I realize that Loving whatever conditions surround me is so much more healing than resenting them. I have discovered that my attitude toward the state of things outside of myself does little to change those things. Acceptance or resentment, the storm rages on.

“There is peace even in the storm” 
(Vincent van Gogh, The Letters of Vincent van Gogh)

What does happen as a consequence of my attitude affects my heart, my being. Hating the weather, or any circumstance of my life for that matter, simply breeds more resentment, and all of that negative energy settles into the fibers of my heart. I find it all too easy to be resentful, and the more that I indulge such thoughts the greater the purchase their roots find in my awareness.

"It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person,
but what comes out of the mouth; this defiles a person."
(Matthew 15.11)

I sometimes find myself complaining about the weather, the government, the news, my family... the list goes on, and I must earnestly ask myself, "will I make my world a better place by bitching about it?" Of course, the answer is NO! However, giving thanks in the face of hardship, taking ownership of my thoughts and feelings, and learning to be Love no matter what the circumstance - these things do change our world, one heart at a time.

Take stock today - do you find yourself repeatedly complaining about something or someone? All you are doing is eroding your own well-being. Humanity does not need another eroded person, humanity needs the best you that you can be. Let go of resentment - really, just let it go. In it's place fill your thoughts with gratitude, compassion, and wonder at the spices of life.

I leave the last word to the Apostle Peter:

"Do not repay evil for evil or reviling for reviling,
but on the contrary, bless,
for to this you were called,
that you may obtain a blessing."
(1 Peter 3.9)

The color of storms...
standing in the face of the gale
and letting the wind blow through you.


Iron
sharpens
iron

Love
sharpens
soul

Be the iron
of Love
to all
whom you
meet

Dance
in the
storm



To Ponder Further:
- From the bible: "Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." (Romans 12.12)
- From Confucianism: “The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential… these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence.” (Confucius)
- From Native American wisdom: "Help me always to speak the truth quietly, to listen with an open mind when others speak, and to remember the peace that may be found in silence." (Cherokee Prayer)

No comments:

Post a Comment