Wednesday 26 March 2014

Don't Doubt It

“Our doubts are traitors, 
and make us lose the good we oft might win,
by fearing to attempt.” 
(William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure)

My thoughts are both my own worst enemy and my best friend.  When they echo the deepest truth and wisdom of my heart, my thoughts lead me to reach beyond, far beyond, the feeble limits imposed by my doubts. When guided by my heart (or maybe it's my soul) I am impassioned to acts of courage and compassion that cause me to smile in joy for wonder of the person who God has created me to be.


There are days, however, when my mind is not so centered and the Spirit of God whispering encouragement in my ear is but a faint voice lost to the wind. Then doubts do assail me, and the voice I hear is full of condemnation and judgment. I am a small and selfish creature under the harsh words of this voice and the horizon seems one of great limitations and little hope.


“I seek strength, not to be greater than another, 
but to fight my greatest enemy, 
the doubts within myself” 
(P.C. Cast)

I'm not really sure from where the dark voice speaks, but I have come to recognize its sound and to seek to pay it little heed. If I am to be the gift to this world that I trust my Creator made me to be, it will require that I discipline myself to listen to the gentle voice of Love and not the piercing words of self-doubt. 

I continue to be amazed by the potential within humanity, planted within each of us, to be bring life and healing to our earth, to renew community, to create wonders of art, science, music... to express the image of God in ever new and beautiful ways. And yet, still we struggle, fighting each other, fighting ourselves, fighting Love. Too often we listen to that dark voice of judgment and doubt and in so doing we relinquish our true power - the power to remake our world through kindness, grace and compassion. 


I encourage you this day to trust the Spirit's gentle nudging of your heart. When you hear words of condemnation, of doubt, of judgment - acknowledge them and then put them aside. They are not true for you. This is true: YOU are beautiful, and amazingly gifted and YOU are in this world  because God made you as a gift to humanity. Let nothing hold you back from being all that Love would have you be.


I leave the last word to Isaiah:

"And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying,
 “This is the way, walk in it,” 
when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left"
(Isaiah 30.21)

Whispering encouragement,
Pastor Bill

Listen
a
gentle breeze
stirs
your heart

its
voice
calls

love
and
be
loved

Breathe

No comments:

Post a Comment